Friday, March 26, 2010

Nerf the Mighty Marine?

Been playing (and loving) starcraft2 beta, focusing on Terran as my race of choice. They are a fun race and have a lot of different things at their disposal. I’m still very “green” but I’m having a lot of fun. I really need to work on my building design (for chokes) and just buildings in general (when to make more, when to expand, how to make sure I spend all my minerals). I have a decent grasp on early game Terran, pushing with marines/mauraders, and adding in some medivacs/tanks depending on what is going on. However after that my game gets quite a bit more cloudy as the battles wear on, what do I build end game for those ultimate battles? Well now more than ever I need to find some answers to that because they just put out pretty large change patch for the beta and wiped our stats! Here are some highlights on my thoughts on the changes.

--They doubled the build time of the reactor (building upgrade to produce two units at once) and on top of it upped the build time of actual Marines by a few seconds. The net result has been an increase in me building more mauraders and usually having a smaller army than I otherwise would have. Its harder to fend off a rush as well. I play most of my games getting three barracks having two with tech lab and one with reactor but on occasion would get two reactor. To do that now takes a really long time and probably isn’t worth it, also I can’t see it ever being worth it to make a reactor on your first barracks unless you are certain you won’t get attacked, just takes way too long. I think these changes were to stop some cheese marine/scv rush but I never knew how to do that anyway hehe.

--Tech lab gas cost reduced from 50 to 25. This is nice for early game building a tech lab but later on not a big deal. However it does make reaper rush is a little faster now. I may try a strategy where I pump out 4-6 of these then rush. As for now my typical build one of them rush comes out a little faster and that’s pretty nice. Those buildings are then set to build mauraders later.

--Reduced gas cost allows for Vikings and ghosts to be produced a little easier. Not too big of a deal but its still cool. I need to find a much better way to use Vikings though, to me they die way too fast and it doesn’t feel like they pack as much anti air as you would think they should. Being able to land them is cool but slow and micro intensive.

Other notes on some things I tested and matches I played:

--One guy sent a early probe to my base and threw me off hard core. He attacked my scv making my first barracks. The problem was it was at my choke, so after a few seconds I had to take my scv and send him back to my mineral line then replace him with another to continue building. This made it take ages to get my first barracks up. If I attacked him with a scv or 2 he just ran, soon as I tried to build he came back. All the while he was wasting my scv’s time and stopping me from building. It was pretty damn effective. A friend suggested taking another scv and repairing the first, that might work. Other thoughts are taking another scv to attack him. Either way one of his guys basically wastes the time of a few of my workers just to get rid of him.

--Medivacs can airlift Thor’s one at a time haha! I didn’t know if they would be able to pick them up but was messing around and they can. It basically turns them into a giant metal box under the medivac, looks pretty cool!

--Due to the ladder reset I got matched up against some players that were way out of my league last night haha. It was fun though.

No comments: